Sometimes you see or hear something that you were not expecting. Maybe it's an unexpected event or a piece of information. Here are ten expressions that show how surprised you are.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- What a surprise!
- Well I never! / Blimey!
- That's the last thing I expected
- You're kidding!
- I don't believe it! / Are you serious?
- I'm speechless!
- I'd never have guessed.
- You don't say!
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- We say phrases 1 and 2 with rising intonation. It's imporatnt to make your voice go up at the end. You are inviting the other speaker to give you more information.
- Phrase 3 is a general expression of surprise
- Phrases in 4 are strong exclamations. 'Blimey!' is a little rude as it literally means 'God blind me!'
- We say phrase 5 when something is completely different to what you expected - after a surprising event.
- Phrases in 6 and 7 are saying that we really don't believe the information.
- Phrase 8 is saying that you are so surprised that you can't speak.
- Phrase 10 is a little old fashioned. If people say this nowadays, they are probably being sarcastic and they really mean that it isn't surprising at all.