Cambridge English Exam Courses
IH Bristol is open for face-to-face classes at our Queens Avenue building in Clifton, Bristol - book now for 2022
Would you like a qualification that is recognised worldwide? At International House Bristol we can help you achieve this. We offer English courses for Cambridge PET, FCE, CAE, CPE. You can choose a 10-week preparation course including exam fee or, in the summer, a 4-week preparation course including exam fee. If you want to study longer than 10 or 4 weeks, just enter the dates you want on the application form. Courses are open to students aged 16+
Enrol on a full Cambridge Exam preparation course at IH Bristol and take the Cambridge Exam with us, if you don't achieve a grade from A-C we will refund 25% of your tuition fees!*
*Applies where you have completed our online placement test and IH Bristol has confirmed your suitability for the preparation course and exam
The ten-week Cambridge English Exam course runs several times a year to coincide with the Cambridge English exam dates:
|Level||Course Dates||Exam Date|
|B2 First (FCE)||
28th March - 1st June 2022
23rd May - 29th July 2022
3rd October - 9th December 2022
7th June 2022
28th July 2022
10th December 2022
|C1 Advanced (CAE)||
28th March - 1st June 2022**
23rd May - 29th July 2022
3rd October - 9th December 2022
8th June 2022
29th July 2022
10th December 2022
|C2 Proficiency (CPE)||
4th April - 10 June 2022
26th September - 2nd December 2022
9th June 2022
1st December 2022
- **Thursday 2nd June and Friday 3rd June are Bank Holidays so this course will end on Wednesday 1st June. One of these two days is an additional Bank Holiday for 2022, so lessons for this 1 extra day will be made up earlier in the course. As the exam will take place on Tuesday/Wednesday of the following week, students will be required to book additional accommodation as required.
- The minimum age to join is 16
All courses above subject to sufficient numbers and students can enrol for more or less than 10 weeks if more or less preparation is required. There are materials fees for students who do not book the full preparation course (see price list for details).
Exam dates above are for the Written papers; Speaking paper dates will be confirmed nearer the time, but will be set around the same week. For CPE, we offer the Literature (set text) option for the writing paper. Students can study a set text with us and at home and answer questions about this in the written exam.
We also offer a part-time evening course option (FCE/CAE) for those living and working in Bristol already - see here for details
The Intensive Cambridge Exam Course (FCE and CAE only) runs once a year for 4 weeks in July/August:
- 1st - 26th August 2022
Please see our updated Terms & Conditions for new courses booked in 2021/2022, along with our Safety Measures & FAQs for Face-to-Face courses in Bristol
Both the 10-week and 4-week courses help students improve all their skills (reading, writing, speaking and listening), review and strengthen their grammatical knowledge and improve their vocabulary with lexis and structures relevant to their exam. We aim to maximise your chance of passing the exam and achieve as high a grade as possible. There is an emphasis on the exam strategies we believe students should employ in order to do this, focusing on exam practice tasks to help you become very familiar with the format of the exam. The price of the exam is also included in the course fees.
- 20 morning classes (45 minutes each)
- 8 afternoon classes (45 minutes each)
- 12 students maximum (please note some students may join the class online via Zoom, hybrid, if they are currently self-isolating or unable to travel due to covid restrictions)
- Minimum of two teachers on each course
- Practice tests with feedback
- Cambridge English Exam fee included
For more information about the dates and prices, please click here.
If you wish to enrol on a Cambridge Exam English course, please call us today on +44 (0)117 909 0911 or apply now
We prepare our English students for Cambridge PET, FCE, CAE and CPE (proficiency) exams*.
In addition to General English classes in the morning, you have 8 Cambridge Exam classes in the afternoon.
These classes will help you to:
‒ Practise the different tasks you have to do for each part of the exam
‒ Learn personal strategies to do the task more effectively
‒ Organise your learning
"It was a big pleasure being here and getting prepared for my CPE exams."
Nadine Graf, Switzerland
There is a separate syllabus for the Cambridge Exam English courses. These focus on:
- Key topics that are often in the exams
- The different writing tasks in the various Cambridge Exams
- Regular practice of reading, speaking and listening
- The most useful grammar, vocabulary and functional language for tasks you are required to do in the exam
For the CPE preparation course, we can offer the Literature (set text) option for the writing paper. Students can study a set text with us and at home and answer questions about this in the written exam
The content and focus of our Cambridge classes are as follows (note that for the 4 week summer course, all lessons are exam focused):
|Morning class 1||9.15am ‒ 10am||
In classes 1 and 2, we use a general English coursebook, which has a balance of skills, vocabulary and grammar. Every morning we also teach you a Phrase of the Day, to help you sound natural. Teachers include additional English focuses which are useful for the students in the class.
|Morning class 2||10am ‒10.45am|
|Morning class 3||11.15am ‒12pm||In classes 3 and 4, we use a general English coursebook, which has a balance of skills, vocabulary and grammar. You'll start the class with a Cultural Question, to help you understand the cultures of the UK and other students. Teachers include additional English focuses which are useful for the students in the class.|
|Morning class 4||12pm ‒12.45pm|
|Afternoon class 5||13:45 - 14:30||We use one main exam coursebook and a number of other materials to help you practise the tasks and prepare effectively.|
|Afternoon class 6||14:30 - 15:15||We use one main exam coursebook and a number of other materials to help you practise the tasks and prepare effectively.|
(Please note in 2022 some students may join the class online via zoom if they are currently self-isolating, in which case the class will be in hybrid format)
"The classes of FCE were perfect"
Tatiana Andreeva, Russia
As part of a Cambridge Exam English course, we'll also give you:
- Free coursebooks for both morning and afternoon classes (where you book and pay for the full 10 week course in low season, or the 4 week summer intensive course)
- An extra complete practice speaking test with you when your exam date approaches
- Regular help with pronunciation
- Suggestions about how to learn more effectively
- Study room time 3.30pm - 5pm, with a tutor available also for one hour every afternoon after classes, from Monday to Thursday; you can use our huge range of resources or our tutor can help you do your homework, explain English grammar and vocabulary you find difficult or give you advice about improving your English. You can also ask the tutor there for help with anything connected with Cambridge Exams and we have other practice exams and other Cambridge Exam resources you can have access to
- Practice Cambridge test each Friday afternoon, together with your group, under exam conditions; or choose instead to go to our weekly Conversation Club to practise your English with other students and teachers
*Minimum numbers apply
- 10 week preparation course in 2022 - £2748
- 9 week C2 Proficiency preparation course in January 2022 - £2473
- 4 week intensive preparation course - £1398
- + £45 registration fee
Prices include materials and exam fee.
If you are not booking a full course package, the cost of the exam is £165-205, depending on the exam taken and the date you book. See our Cambridge exam dates here
See our Dates & Prices page for accommodation and other optional services
Please note: The minimum age to join this course is 16. The safety and welfare of all our students is very important to us, but especially for students under the age of 18 and any vulnerable adults. You can see more information on our U18s policies, supervision, parental agreements, U18 permission forms here