Saying you don't know - Intermediate
Sometimes somebody asks you a question and you don't know the answer. Here are some phrases that you can use when you don't know.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- Sorry. I don't know.
- (I'm afraid,) I've no idea.
- (Sorry,) I can't help you there.
- I don't know anything about..(cars)
- I don't know the first thing about (cars)
- I haven't got a clue.
- Search me.
- Don't ask me.
- What are you asking me for?
- How the hell should I know?
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- In phrases 1, 2 and 3 we can use either 'sorry' or 'I'm afraid' or we can leave this part of the pharse out. These phrases are quite polite.
- Phrases 4 and 5 are saying that you don't know the answer and that you don't know about the whole topic area (cars).
- Phrases 6 and 7 are saying (more strongly) that you don't know anything about the topic.
- If you say phrases 8 or 9, you are probably a little angry that somebody asked you a question about this topic.
- Phrase 10 is showing stronger annoyance that somebody asked you about a certain topic.