Party talk - Intermediate
What do you say when you want to talk to someone you don't know at a party or in a disco? Here are some ideas:
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- You look familiar - have I seen you before
- Don't I know you? Haven't we met before?
- Hi. I'm Paul. What's your name?
- Can I offer you a drink?
- Do you know anyone here?
- You're a great dancer.
- I like the way you dance.
- Do you come here often?
- Do you want to dance?
- I like your jacket - where did you get it?
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- 1 and 2. We often try to see if we have something in common with new people - and pretending to have seen them before is one way of doing this.
- 3. Why not try a direct introduction? This is how.
- 4. A common way of starting a conversation is by buying someone a drink.
- 5. This can sound a bit desperate - but it's good if you can introduce the person to other people you know.
- 6 and 7. Saying something nice about someone is a good start.
- 8 This is a classic opening remark - but it is very boring and doesn't produce a long conversation!
- 10 is like 6 and 7. Of course you don't only have to talk about jackets: tops, shirts, shoes, blouses � anything will do!