Disagreeing with a prediction - Intermediate
Imagine your friend says 'I'm going to president one day'. In English, we have a number of phrases to say that we think the other person is being totally unrealistic.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- As if!
- In your dreams!
- You wish!
- No chance!
- Not a chance!
- Not likely!
- Dream on!
- Never in a million years!
- You'll be lucky!
- Yes, and pigs might fly!
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- Phrases 1, 2, and 3 not only show disbelief but are also quite dismissive of the person who made the prediction.
- Phrases 4 and 5 are indicating that you think the prediction is totally impossible.
- Phrase 6 is a little more tentative. You concede that there may be a small chance.
- Phrase 7 suggests that you think the other person is just day-dreaming.
- Phrases 9 and 10 are a little sarcstic. In phrase ten you are saying that the prediction is no more likely than pigs suddenly being able to fly.