We have a number of accommodation options to suit different lifestyles and budgets. Most are within easy reach of the school, normally a 20-30 minute walk or bus ride.
Our accommodation officer is always on hand to help you find the best kind of accommodation for your needs and to sort out any issues that may arise.
Most of our students stay in homestay accommodation with a British host. This allows you to share meals and experience English culture first hand.
Our homestay hosts are families, couples and single people. We have chosen them for you because they have clean, comfortable homes near the school, and they offer a friendly welcome to our students. We want you to feel like one of the family. This is a great way to help you practise your English naturally. We visit all our hosts regularly to make sure the accommodation they offer is of the highest standard.
When you arrive, your host will show you how to get to school on the first morning. Most hosts live within 20-30 minutes of the school on foot or by public transport.
Homestay hosts provide two meals a day, included in the price of your accommodation. You have a private bedroom with somewhere to put your clothes, and a table to work at. Every day you eat with members of the host at breakfast and in the evening, and you can have meals together at weekends. (Students on Junior courses, adult groups if requested, or if requested by the student/parent, may share twin bedrooms - see price lists.) We never put two students who speak the same language in the same home, so you will have plenty of opportunity to practise your English and get to know more about the English way of life. There will be no more than three other students (or paying guests) staying in the same host with you at one time. Laundry facilities are provided and available at least once a week: adults can agree with their host what works best for them, hosts will provide a laundry service for juniors, as appropriate.
16 and 17 year olds on adult courses have breakfast and dinner provided, 7 days a week, and must buy their own lunches.
Self-catering homestay accommodation, where you live with a host but buy and cook all your food, is also available. This is a little cheaper.
Unite House is a modern, comfortable university residence, in close walking distance of the school. IH Bristol rents 'IH Bristol-only' flats for our students each summer. Students from other schools will also be in the same building but in seperate flats. Flats have en-suite bedrooms with shared kitchen facilities. Each flat has 6 or 7 bedrooms.
What can I expect?:
- Excellent location in the heart of the city centre, less than 2 minutes' walk from Park Street and various shops, restaurants, cafes and bars
- 2022 price: £210 per week, plus £45 accommodation placement fee (additional nights £35/night)
- A 15-minute-walk from our Queens Avenue adults centre (Unite House residence: Frogmore St, Bristol BS1 5NA)
- For adults 18 years and older only
- Single rooms with private ensuite bathrooms (shower)
- 3/4 bed (this is larger than a single bed) with additional storage space under the matress
- Bedding, 2 towels included
- Self-catering, shared kitchen (shared between the 6-7 IH Bristol students in each flat)
- Kitchen equipment included (pots, pans, cutlery, glasses, cups, plates, bowls and utensils)
- Students clean their own rooms during their stay; communal areas are cleaned by IH Bristol cleaning team once per week
- Laundry facilities available on site (there are extra costs for this to pay on site)
- Shared communal areas - includes table tennis, table football, American pool, cinema room and access to PS4 & Netflix, quiet study space
- Secure bike storage available on site - students can register for this for free
- Reception service + 24/7 access to Unite residence emergency contact centre
- Free Wi-Fi
Photos below of Unite House from 2022.
For an independent alternative, why not try this local accommodaton provider (18 years+ only):
Clifton Short Lets - private rented rooms, flexible dates, all year
Clifton Short Lets offer private rooms within a 10 minute walk in the heart of Clifton and a five minute walk to IH Bristol on Queens Avenue. They offer a variety of room sizes, with bathroom and kitchen facilities shared between residents.
International House students are able to receive a 10% discount on their rates which include WiFi, bills, council tax and VAT by using the code 'INTHOUSE'.
Only available to students aged 18 years and over, prices start from around £140 per week. Students book direct with Clifton Short Lets (this is not IH Bristol's own accommodation).
To book click here: Clifton Short Lets
Long Term Apartment Rentals:
There are plenty of real estate agencies in Bristol who will help you find an apartment to rent. Bear in mind that the minimum stay is usually 6 months and you will probably need to pay council tax plus a security deposit .
More information about Council Tax here: http://www.bristol.gov.uk/page/council-tax.
The best way to get around Bristol is on foot or by bike, but if you prefer to take the bus then First Buses offer an excellent service with student discounts. You can 'pay as you go', or the easiest and cheapest way to buy a ticket is in advance via the FirstBus app. Once bought, the tickets are stored in your app and you must activate each one before using it, so that you can scan the QR code on the bus. Ticket prices as of January 2022 are as follows:
|Child (0-15 years)||£1.10||£2.70||£10.80||£39.20|
*Note that you do not need to show a student card to buy a student ticket via the app, but you must have it with you if you buy a student ticket on the bus. Your IH Bristol student card will be accepted.
For more information about travelling to Bristol see our helpful guide here
Are you based in easy reach of IH Bristol and interested in hosting international students in your home? Find out more information about hosting here or click the button below to enquire