Saying something is true - Advanced
Here are ten phrases that you can use when you are absolutely sure that what you are saying is true.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- I'm sure..
- I'm absolutely positive...
- I'm a hundred percent certain..
- I'm utterly convinced..
- I can assure you that...
- I couldn't be more sure of...
- I'd stake my life on it.
- It's a known fact that..
- Everybody knows that...
- I can state categorically that...
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- The strength of phrase 1 depends on intonation. If the speaker's voice rises at the end of the sentence she may be less certain and is inviting somebody else to correct the information.
- Phrases 2, 3, and 4 come before a sentence that gives information. They all say strongly that you believe in this information's truth.
- We often use phrase 5 to contradict a statement or opinion of a previous speaker.
- If somebody says phrase 7, he is saying that you can kill him if he is wrong.
- Phrases 8 and 9 are saying that the statement is a fact and that everybody already knows about it.
- Phrase 10 is a very strong assurance - often used by politicians and public relations officials.