Sometimes we want to repeat something that we have just said or that somebody else has said. Fortunately, there are many phrases in English that we can use to introduce this.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- In a nutshell,
- To paraphrase,
- To put it another way,
- What it all boils down to is...
- To sum up (then)...
- In other words,
- What this means is (that)...
- Put it this way.
- Look at it this way.
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- We say phrases 1 and 2 before giving a more simple explanation of something previously said.
- Phrases 3 and 4 often introduce a more positive way of presenting the previous information to make it sound more agreeable to the listener / reader
- Phrase 5 introduces a very short summary of a large amount of information or text.
- Phrase 7 is often used in informal conversation but it can be used formally as well.
- Phrases 9 and 10 are often used to persuade somebody that a previous idea or suggestion is good. They are both complete sentences and are followed by another sentence.