Noises With Adjectives - Advanced
We have many words to describe noises. Some of the words are strongly associated with certain adjectives. Here are ten of them.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- A deafening roar
- A high-pitched scream
- A terrible din
- A piercing shriek
- A fading echo
- A muffled reply
- A booming voice
- A creaking door
- A low murmur
- A bloody racket
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- 1 suggests a very loud noise that is sustained for some time and prevents other sounds being heard.
- 3 is similar to 1 but shows more diapproval from the speaker
- A piercing shriek (4) is similar to a high-pitched scream (2) but shorter in length.
- 5 suggests the kind of reverberation you get in a very large room e.g. in a cathedral
- 6 suggests that person described is covering their mouth while speaking and may be deliberately obscuring their words
- 7 suggests that the voice is both loud and deep
- 9 suggests a low intensity, fluctuating sound usually low in pitch.
- 10 is similar to 2 but with stronger diapproval from the speaker.
- In 10 \bloody\ is a mild swear word of religious origin