Saying something is expensive
The Bristish are said to be a nation of shopkeepers and so in the UK you need to be careful to avoid getting ripped off and paying over the odds.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- That's a bit steep.
- That's a bit pricey.
- You paid a bit over the odds.
- That's a bit on the dear side
- It cost me an arm and a leg.
- You're paying through the nose
- That's exorbitant
- It cost a fortune.
- That's daylight robbery.
- They must have seen you coming
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- Phrases 1, 2 and 3 suggest that something is a little more expensive than it should be.
- Phrase 4 is slightly less strong than the first three.
- Phrase 5 suggests that something was very expensive but not necessarily too much.
- Phrases 6, 7 and 8 suggest that something costs a lot of money and is unfairly priced.
- Phrase 9 suggests that the seller was dishonest to sell something for such a high price.
- Phrase 10 suggests that the buyer was stupid to pay such a high price for something.