Excuses for being late
It happens. We are late for something. That's when we say sorry and normally give a reason - our excuse for being late.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- Sorry - I didn't hear the alarm clock.
- The alarm didn't go off.
- I slept right through the alarm.
- I had to wait ages for a bus.
- The bus was late.
- The traffic was terrible.
- I couldn't find a parking space.
- The roads were chockablock.
- I got lost coming here.
- It's not an easy place to find.
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- 1, 2 and 3 are all about problems waking up. We blame the alarm clock. 2 shows there was a problem with the alarm clock. 3 shows you were so tired that the alarm didn't wake you up.
- The traffic is often responsible for us being late. 4 says that the bus is responsible - it didn't arrive when it was supposed to. 5 is similar.
- 6. Here we are saying the traffic in general was responsible. You can use this if you are driving or travelling on the bus.
- 7 and 8 are common problems for drivers. 7 means that it was difficult to park.
- We use 8 to say the roads were full of traffic, like when there is a traffic jam.
- 9 and 10 are used when you are visiting a place for the first time and don't know the way.