Postcard English - Advanced
We all write postcards - here are some popular phrases to use.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- Wish you were here.
- Arrived safely.
- Having a great time!
- The food is wonderful.
- The people are so friendly.
- Just lying on the beach - fantastic!
- The weather's lovely.
- Met some nice people.
- We're off to the mountains tomorrow.
- This is the life.
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- 1 is a typical sentence to a friend who didn't go on holiday with you.
- Note that it's common to leave out pronouns like I/we. 2 means We arrived safely - and is used when you've flown somewhere a long way away.
- 3 is one of the most common things to say you're really enjoying your holiday. You can also say wonderful/fantastic/super/brilliant instead of 'great.'
- We often mention the food - and 4 is a simple way of showing your general appreciation.
- 5. We can also say 'the locals' or, humorously, 'the natives.'
- 6 Beach holidays are popular - this is what we say when we are doing nothing, just relaxing on the beach.
- All British people talk about the weather, and 7 is a typical comment. You can also say brilliant/wonderful/great instead of 'lovely.'
- 8 may imply you met some local people, or that you met other tourists.
- 9. we often use the structure
- 10 is a useful expression to say you are enjoying the lifestyle you have on holiday.