Postcard English - negative - Advanced
Some holidays are disappointing - here's what you can say on a postcard when that happens.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- The place is a dump.
- The journey was a nightmare.
- We had a nightmare of a journey.
- The food's disgusting.
- I got food poisoning!
- The people are so unfriendly.
- It poured the whole time.
- It's not what we expected.
- Can't wait to get home.
- There's nothing to do.
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- 1 is useful to refer to a place - hotel, restaurant, or city or even a whole country - that you don't like.
- Bad journeys happen, and 2 and 3 are ways of saying that you had a terrible journey.
- Food can spoil a holiday - 4 is a general comment, 5 shows that you were actually ill as a result of it.
- 6. This is useful when you don't feel welcome in a place. It can refer to people in a specific place like a hotel, or a whole country.
- We like good weather, so when it rains we feel disappointed. That's when 7 is useful.
- 8 says that you expected more than you got - a better hotel, nicer facilities, more to do etc
- 9 is a way of ending a postcard describing a bad holiday.
- 10. If the holiday is boring, this is what you can say.