Graphs - Rise and fall - Advanced
We often want to talk about things that go up and down at different times. Newspapers and reports often show this information on graphs. Here are some phrases to describe this.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- A sharp increase
- A steep drop
- A massive reduction
- A gradual rise
- A slight decline
- A peak
- A slow-down
- A spike
- A steady recovery
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- Phrase 1 describes something that goes up very fast
- Phrase 2 describes something that comes down very fast
- Phrase 3 describes something that comes down by a large amount
- Phrase 4 describes something that goes up slowly over a (long) period of time
- Phrase 5 describes soemthing that goes down a little bit
- Phrase 6 describes the time when something stops going up and starts going down
- Phrase 7 describes something that is still going up but less and less quickly
- Phrase 8 describes a time when something goes up a lot for a very short time.
- Phrase 9 describes something that stops going down and then goes up at the same speed for a (long) period of time.
- Phrase 10 describes a time when something goes up and down many times.