On the Phone - Elementary
The phone is a really important part of our lives today, especially with mobiles. Here are some useful expressions.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- I'll call you later.
- Leave a message.
- Hi Simon, it's Anna.
- Did you get my message?
- Can I speak to Rob, please?
- Hi, Jenny. Where are you?
- Thanks for getting back to me.
- Leave a message after the beep
- What's your number?
- I'm returning your call.
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- 1 is used to say we will phone someone at some time in the future. We can also say 'I'll get back to you' if someone has asked us for specific information that we don't have now.
- You hear 2 on an answerphone, asking people to say why they were calling.
- You use 3 to say who you are at the beginning of a call.
- We use 4 to check someone knows that we called and left a message before.
- 5 is a common question if the person you want to talk to is not the person who answers the phone.
- Now we all have mobiles, we often start conversations by asking where someone is.
- 7 is used when you have left a message for someone, and they are now calling back.
- 8 is like 2. We say 'beep' or 'tone' meaning the noise that indicates you can leave a message.
- 9 is a common way of asking for someone's contact details.
- 10 is what we say when someone wants us to call them back.