Jobs - health workers - Elementary
There are many jobs related to health and hospitals. You probably already know about nurses and doctors. Here are ten other health-related jobs that you might need to know.
10 expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing:
- GP / General Practitioner
- Specialist / Consultant
- Theatre nurse
- Dental hygienist
- Vet / Vetenarian
How To Use These Phrases In Your English:
- In 1, a 'General Practitioner' is the name we give to a general family doctor who you can go and see at a centre near your house. The health centre is called a 'practice'.
- In 2, a 'specialist' is a doctor who knows many things about one special area - (e.g. eyes).
- In 3, a 'surgeon' is a special doctor who does operations on people in a hospital.
- In 4, a 'theatre nurse' is a nurse who helps with operations in 'an operating theatre'.
- In 5, a 'dentist' is a doctor who looks at and works on your teeth.
- In 6, a 'dental hygienist' is a person who cleans people's teeth and teaches them how to clean their teeth properly.
- In 7, a 'chiropodist' is a doctor who looks after your feet.
- In 8, an 'optician' is a doctor who specialises in eyes. You go to an optician when you need glasses or contact lenses.
- In 9, a 'paramedic' is a person who arrives at the place where an accident happened and can give medical treatment to people who need it.
- In 10, a 'vet' is a doctor for animals.