IELTS Exam English courses at IH Bristol
IELTS is one of the most popular examinations worldwide for students wishing to study at an English-language university. Candidates receive a score from one to nine. Most UK universities require a score of 6 or 6.5. At International House Bristol, almost 100% of recent students have achieved the score they needed.
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment. IELTS is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who want to work or study in countries where English is the primary language of communication
- IELTS scores are accepted by more than 9,000 recognising organisations and delivered in 1000+ locations worldwide
- In the last year over 3,000,000 people took the IELTS Test
- IELTS is available in two modules, Academic or General Training.
- The Academic module generally is for people who want to study an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course or who wish to register with a professional body
- The General Training module focuses on basic survival skills in a broader social and educational setting. General Training is gernerally suitable if you are joining a training programme or doing work experience in English-speaking countries, but is not designed for degree level. This module may be suitable for those wishing to emigrate to Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
*Please note that this is just a guide. You should check which module is required by institution, government agent, professional body or employer you are applying to
We prepare students for both General IELTS and Academic IELTS, the exam required by many universities and academic institutions worldwide.
In addition to the General English morning course, you have 8 IELTS classes in the afternoon + opportunities to take practice tests every week. These classes help you to:
- Practise the different tasks you have to do for each part of the exam
- Learn personal strategies to do the tasks more effectively
- Learn the large amount of new vocabulary required for the exam
- Organise your learning
We have a separate syllabus for the IELTS Exam English course. This focuses on:
- Key topics that are often in the exam
- The different elements of good IELTS writing
- Regular practice of reading, speaking and listening
- The most useful grammar, vocabulary and functional language for the exam
The IELTS Exam English course is a supplement to the morning General English class. It povides specific training and practice for the exam. On Fridays, you can join Conversation Club, for extra speaking practice, or use our study room for additional self study.
The content and focus of our IELTS English courses are as follows:
|Morning class 1||9am – 9.45am||General English – coursebook class|
|Morning class 2||9.50am – 10.35am||General English – coursebook class|
|Morning class 3||10.55am – 11.40am||General English – grammar and vocabulary|
|Morning class 4||11.44am – 12.30pm||General English – grammar and vocabulary|
|Lunch and free classes|
|Afternoon class 5||13:30 - 14:15||We use one main coursebook and a number of other materials to help you practise the IELTS exam tasks and prepare effectively.|
|Afternoon class 6||14:20 - 15:05||We use one main coursebook and a number of other materials to help you practise the IELTS exam tasks and prepare effectively.|
As part of an IELTS Exam English course, we'll also give you:
- A free coursebook included in the price of your afternoon lessons
- When your exam approaches, we will do an extra complete practice speaking test with you
- We have practice tests and IELTS resources that you can use in the study room between 12:30pm and 5pm from Monday to Friday (subject to availability). You can also ask the tutor there for help with homework or anything connected with the exam