International House Bristol is working with International House London IELTS Centre to hold regular IELTS tests throughout the year at our central location in Bristol. Please see our How to register section if you would like to take the IELTS test with us.
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment. IELTS is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who want to work or study in countries where English is the primary language of communication
- IELTS scores are accepted by more than 8,000 recognising organisations and delivered in 900+ locations worldwide
- In the last year, 2,000,000 people took the IELTS Test
- IELTS is available in two modules, Academic or General Training. You must decide prior to applying which module is best for you as we cannot advise you on which module you should take. Please note that the General Training module is not offered on all IELTS test dates
- The Academic module is for people who want to study an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course or who wish to register with a professional body
- The General Training module focuses on basic survival skills in a broader social and educational setting. General Training is suitable if you are joining a training programme or doing work experience in English-speaking countries, but is not designed for degree level. This module is also suitable for those wishing to emigrate to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the UK
*Please note that this is just a guide. Candidates must check which module is suitable for them with the institution, government agent, professional body or employer concerned.
- IELTS International House Bristol is a pen and paper test. Candidates are tested in four skill areas: listening, reading, writing and speaking English. For further information on how candidates are graded, please click here
- All candidates will sit the listening, reading and writing tests on Saturday morning. You must be at the test venue to register at 8.45am and the tests should finish at approximately 1.30pm
- Friday speaking tests: Most candidates who live locally will do their speaking test on the Friday evening before the test day between 4pm and 7.35pm. Your speaking test day will be stated in your confirmation letter and your speaking test time will be sent by email a few days before the test
- Saturday speaking tests: Candidates who live outside Bristol will do their speaking test on the Saturday afternoon between 2pm and 6pm. You will be given your speaking test time when you register at 9am on Saturday morning, therefore we strongly advise candidates not to make any other plans for that day and to only buy open return travel tickets
If you would like to take the IELTS Test at another IH London test centre, please click here.