Online General English
Our General English online courses help students improve all their skills (reading, writing, speaking and listening) and learn the grammar, vocabulary and cultural knowledge necessary for using English in an international context.
We focus on practical, effective and natural communication, with flexible schedules available to suit you.
- Daily classes, Monday - Friday (see here for part-time General English courses)
- Learn new phrase-level language items each lesson, to help you to speak more naturally
- Improve your English speaking skills in small group tasks, with feedback from your teacher
- Focus on everyday, real-life topics relevant to all international students
- Improve your writing skills with structured tasks and written feedback from your teacher
- Practise new listening and reading skills to improve your confidence
Minimum age for adult courses: 16 years
Courses run every day Monday to Friday; you can start any Monday and study for any number of weeks.
Choose from 7.5 hours (any session), 15 hours (first 2 sessions) or 22.5 hours (all sessions):
|09:15 ‒ 10:45||We use a general English coursebook, which has a balance of skills, vocabulary and grammar. Every morning we also teach you a Phrase of the Day, to help you sound natural.|
|11:15 - 12:45||We use a general English coursebook, which has a balance of skills, vocabulary and grammar. You'll start the class with a Cultural Question, to help you understand the cultures of the UK and other students.|
|13:45 - 15:15||These classes focus on practising the four skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening. We often have longer activities to help you improve your fluency and we use a higher proportion of authentic materials when appropriate. All materials are provided. On Fridays, all students join our weekly Conversation Club.|
Please book your course and complete our level test at least 2 days before you start your course. This is so we can allocate you to the correct class for your level.
Online General English courses include:
- Online live speaking test & personal needs check with the Principal/experienced teacher prior to course start
- English level test before start date, to make sure we place you in the right class
- Lessons live online with our qualified IH Bristol teachers, maximum 15 students per class
- Interactive group activities, in mixed-nationality classes
- Free e-coursebook
- Online Study Room tutor to check your homework or English problems you need help with (15:45 - 16:45 UK time, Monday - Thursday, bookable in advance)
- IH Bristol’s Phrase of the day
- Cultural Question and weekly Cultural Project (11:15 - 12:45 classes)
- End of week mini-test/quiz, so you can see how much new language you remember
- Free online social activities - meet students from other classes and other IH schools!
- Online receptionist available to book during working hours
- End-of-course certificate
- Free online study material, including Useful English expressions
Studying Online with IH Bristol
- For the best experience, you need a laptop, desktop computer, or a large tablet device. Smartphone screens are too small for you to experience the class, so please use a laptop or PC if at all possible.
- You need an internet broadband connection: for gallery view and/or 720p HD video, 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (up/down)
- For sound and video, it is best with headphones and a webcam, or you can use the camera and speaker on your computer.
That's it! You will receive a weekly email with the link to join your classes. Zoom is very simple to use, but if you're unsure take a look at our helpful video.
7.5 hours per week: £95 per week
15 hours per week: £155 per week
22.5 hours per week: £215 per week
+ £40 registration fee for new students