Useful Expressions > Elementary
The British have a great variety of ways to thank people and showing appreciation for a gift or an act of kindness. Here are ten of them.
Ten Expressions to Use In Speaking And Writing
- Thank you very much.
- I really appreciate it.
- You've made my day.
- How thoughtful.
- You shouldn't have.
- That's so kind of you.
- I am most grateful.
- We would like to express our gratitude.
How To Use These Phrases In Your English
- Phrases 1 and 2 are fairly informal. People often say them without really thinking about it. We use them when somebody does something small to help you.
- Phrases 3 and 4 are more formal. We use these when somebody has done something quite large or important to help you.
- We use phrase 6 when somebody gives you a present. We are saying thank you to the other person for thinking about you and deciding to give a present.
- Phrase 7 is also for receiving a present. You are saying that the other person is too generous. It does NOT mean that the person speaking is angry or annoyed.
- Phrases 9 and 10 are more formal. Phrase 10 is especially formal and is only used in business letters and formal speeches.